What is still up for grabs on the Premier League final day?
The end of one of the most intense and exciting Premier League is on the horizon, with the final day fixtures all kicking off at 4pm on Sunday. And, for the first time in the history of the division, all of the title race, relegation scrap and chase for European spots are up for grabs in the last round of fixtures.
Better yet, only three clubs have nothing still to play for this season (Norwich, Watford and Chelsea), with every other club still able to change positions should results go one way or another on the final day.
Here’s everything that still needs to be decided on the final day.
The title race
Both Manchester City and Liverpool can still have their name etched onto the Premier League trophy for this season with favourable results.
It has caused something of a logistical nightmare too, with the actual Premier League trophy set to be in Manchester while a replica is being taken to Liverpool in case the Reds manage to overturn the deficit.
80.5% – The model gives Manchester City an 80.5% chance of going on to defend their trophy. This leaves Liverpool – who must beat Wolves and hope that Manchester City fail to win – with just a 19.5% chance of overtaking the current leaders. Favoured. https://t.co/eHJaJ6yW3L
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) May 20, 2022
So, what is needed? Manchester City sit a point clear, and have a superior goal difference, meaning that if they win, the title will be theirs no matter what Liverpool do.
Therefore, Liverpool need to win against Wolves and hope that Guardiola’s side are held to a draw or are beaten by Aston Villa. A draw will not be good enough for Klopp’s side, regardless of the result at the Etihad Stadium.
Manchester City, Chelsea and Liverpool are all assured of their Champions League berths next season, but beyond that, which competition Arsenal, Tottenham, Manchester United and West Ham play in next season is still to be decided.
Tottenham head to Carrow Road knowing that a draw will be enough against bottom of the league and already-relegated Norwich to ensure they take the fourth Champions League spot.
Meanwhile, Arsenal are relying on Spurs to lose, while they themselves need to beat Everton. Should those results occur, they will leapfrog their north London rivals into the final Champions League spot. In all likelihood, however, they will be playing Europa League football next season.
Kieran Trippier: “I hope you enjoyed that one tonight @spursofficial fans 😂” pic.twitter.com/DTBPOehCEY
— The Spurs Web (@thespursweb) May 16, 2022
But who will join them in Europe’s second-tier competition is as of yet unknown. Manchester United are in the driving seat, but their poor goal difference means that should they not pick up three points against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park, West Ham could leapfrog them with a win against Brighton.
Should West Ham not win, or Manchester United grab all three points, it will be the Red Devils in the Europa League next season, while the Hammers will have to make do with Conference League football.
Waving the Premier League goodbye
Norwich and Watford have already seen their relegation from the Premier League confirmed, but the third relegation spot is still up in the air.
Everton ensured that they no longer need to concern themselves, winning against Crystal Palace in midweek to ensure that they will be a Premier League club next season. However, one of either Burnley or Leeds will be relegated come the end of Sunday’s fixtures, with both currently tied on 35 points.
11/10 limbs from Everton fans after Calvert-Lewin’s goalpic.twitter.com/OcDdtRdzyW
— Sam Street (@samstreetwrites) May 19, 2022
Leeds face a tricky trip to Brentford, knowing that their awful goal difference has left their destiny out of their hands. They need to better Burnley’s result, with the Clarets at home to a resurgent Newcastle United.