Tecno Phantom X2 Pro Review
Tecno is one of the brands Chinese tech giant Transsion uses for its overseas markets – and especially in Africa. The brand is probably best known for its Camon series – a kind of flagship range with a clear focus on the camera experience. However, there’s also the Phantom line, which has more or less been spun off into its own separate entity. One that aims to deliver truly flagship devices and experiences.
Last year saw the release of the original Phantom X, and now the Phantom X2 series is here. It has two models in its ranks – the vanilla Phantom X2 and the Phantom X2 Pro. We currently have the latter in the practice for the full revision treatment.
The Phantom X2 Pro is a truly premium device, from its eye-catching and ergonomic unibody design, to its flagship internals with a MediaTek Dimensity 9000 chipset, its large battery, and even the pop-up portrait camera.
Tecno Phantom X2 Pro Specifications at a Glance:
- Body: 164.6 x 72.7 x 8.9mm, 201g; Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), metal frame, plastic back.
- Display: 6.80″ AMOLED, 1080x2340px resolution, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 379ppi.
- Chipset: MediaTek Dimensity 9000 (4nm): Octa-core (1×3.05GHz Cortex-X2 & 3×2.85GHz Cortex-A710 & 4×1.80GHz Cortex-A510); Mali-G710 MC10.
- Memory: 256GB of 12GB LPDDR5X RAM.
- Operating System/Software: Android 12, HiOS.
- Rear camera:Wide (main): 50MP, F/1.9, PDAF; Telephoto (retractable 2.5x zoom): 50MP, 64mm, F/1.5, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 13 MP, F/2.2, AF.
- Front camera: 32 MP, (wide).
- Video capture:Rear camera: 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30fps; Front camera: Yes.
- Battery: 5160mAh; 45W wired.
- Various : Fingerprint reader (under screen, optical).
The Phantom X2 Pro emphasizes photography, which we’ll definitely explore. It also positions itself as an eco-friendly phone with a particular eco edition of the device using recycled ocean plastics for its back cover.
Overall, the Phantom X2 Pro is a well-rounded flagship device that doesn’t skimp on any particular part of its spec sheet. Some of its other highlights include a 6.8-inch 120Hz AMOLED display, dual-SIM support, a 5160mAh battery, and 45W fast charging, all housed in a relatively compact body.
Unboxing the Tecno Phantom X2 Pro
Before exploring the phone itself, let’s first look at the retail box. We can’t say for sure that the press kit we received will be identical to the retail box users will receive. It is worth keeping in mind. What we got is a fairly large two-piece cardboard box. A very solid, which is nice to see.
Inside, aside from the phone, tucked away in its own cradle, we also found a 45W charger, a Type-C cable to go with it, a hard case with a stand, and a nice pair of headphones with a microphone online.
The case in particular stands out for its design, and it’s a cut above almost any other case we’ve seen that comes free with a phone.
Leave a Reply