PUBG: Authorities Investigate Suspected Murder Due to Gambling Influence, Says Union Minister Rajeev Chandrasekhar
Union Minister Rajeev Chandrasekhar said on Friday law enforcement was investigating to find the reason for a “media report that a child killed his mother based on PUBG he was playing”. In a written response to the Rajya Sabha, he also said that reports and complaints about banned apps appearing in new avatars using similar-sounding names had been forwarded to the Home Ministry for consideration.
The State Minister for Electronics and Computers also told the Rajya Sabha that the PUBG game app was banned by MeitY in 2020 and is not available in the country.
He was answering a question about whether crimes are committed under the influence of PUBG.
“There has been a media report that a child killed his mother based on PUBG which he was playing. It is a matter of investigation by LEAs (Law Enforcement Agencies) to find out the reason. But, the PUBG game app was blocked by MeitY in 2020 and PUBG game has not been available in India since,” Chandrasekhar said in a written response.
According to him, the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has received various reports and grievances stating that blocked apps are appearing with new avatars using similar sounding or rebranded names with the same functionality and all these reports have been forwarded. to the Ministry of the Interior for review.
Asked about the government’s order to remove mobile apps and the reason for removing apps from 2020, Chandrasekhar said the government’s goals are to ensure an open, safe, reliable and responsible internet for its users. .
In a separate written response, he said the government had notified the 2021 Information Technology Rules (Guidelines for Intermediaries and Digital Media Code of Ethics).
The rules provide for the removal of apps, if an app is found to be illegal under applicable law, through Playstore or Appstore at the request of an appropriate government or its authorized agency, he added.
The minister also said that MeitY does not keep any details about the removal of mobile apps under the 2021 IT rules.
Leave a Reply