Police commissioner speaks on Plateau killings, says death toll now 17
Commissioner of police in Plateau state, Edward Egbuka has stated that 17 people were killed in the recent attacks on Bassa and Riyom LGAs of the state.
Iregwe Development Association (IDA) had earlier stated that gunmen attacked Bassa LGA on Saturday, killing seven persons and razing 250 houses.
Egbuka while addressing journalists at the end of an emergency state security meeting in Jos in Monday said five persons were killed in attacks on Jebbu Miango in Bassa LGA on July 31 and 12 others killed on August 1 at Tambora in Riyom LGA.
He said more than 85 buildings were also destroyed in the attacks.
“There were attacks specifically at Jebbu Miango on Saturday night, July 31 in which five people were killed and about 85 buildings burnt,” NAN quoted him as saying.
“The next morning, the attacks continued at Tambora in Riyom LGA where 12 people were killed and some houses destroyed.”
The police commissioner said some security personnel were also killed in the attacks.
He said Simon Lalong, governor of the state, has given an order to security personnel in the state to ensure that the situation is brought under control and to fish out the assailants.
“His excellency has read a riot act to us that we should move out and within two weeks bring to book all those that have perpetrated the attacks. This would be done,” he said.
He warned that instigators of reprisal attacks will not be spared saying, “human life is sacrosanct, nobody can take it at will. There is a government on ground and lawlessness would not be accepted”.
The post Police commissioner speaks on Plateau killings, says death toll now 17 appeared first on NEWS.