Latest Nigeria News - Latest Naija Gists

Army debunks rumour of attack on UN Base in Borno

0
(0)

Army debunks rumour of attack UN Base in Borno

Army debunks rumour of attack on UN Base in Borno

The Nigerian Army on Tuesday debunked reports on social media that the terrorists attacked UN Base in Borno State which trapped 25 aid workers.

This was contained in a statement made to newsmen in Abuja by the Army spokesperson, Brig. Gen Mohammed Yerima.

The Director of Army Public Relations declared that those false and sensational reports were clearly aimed at stirring up tension in the region and diminishing the glaring efforts and sacrifices of the military in the fight against insurgency.

He explained how troops of Operation LAFIYA DOLE have decisively routed elements of Boko Haram Terrorists and their Islamic State of West Africa Province(ISWAP) counterpart who attempted to infiltrate and attack Dikwa town in Dikwa Local Government Area of Borno State.

[ DOWNLOAD MP3 NOW ]

He said that the terrorist groups who stormed the town in an unconfirmed number of gun trucks and motorcycles were confronted with heavy bombardment and overwhelming firepower by troops of 81 Task Force Battalion with reinforcement from other formations of the Nigerian Army and aided by air support of Air Task Force Operation LAFIYA DOLE.

The Army Spokesperson added that the terrorists attempted to invade the town to loot food items and other logistics having got wind of the recent food distribution to residents of the town by Governor Babagana Zulum.

According to him, “they came in their droves through the Marte axis but could not gain access to the town due to the combat readiness of troops who were positioned there.”

He said that following the development, the terrorists subsequently lost initiative as they were cut off completely following the recent successful recapture of Marte town by the gallant troops.

“In desperation and to scare off residents from returning to their homes, they planted series of landmines on the roads which were also detected and successfully detonated by troops,” he further added.

He stated that the COAS, Major General Ibrahim Attahiru, has commended the efforts of the gallant troops and the prompt response of the Air Task Force in providing air interdictions throughout the operation.

The post Army debunks rumour of attack on UN Base in Borno appeared first on NEWS.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Aminat Aigbe

Aminat Aigbe is the first lady of afronaija and a very good blogger ( Original Mrs AfroNaija )

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.