5 facts about Legend Esther Mahlangu, as she turns 85-year-old
World renowned legend, Esther Mahlangu is being celebrated by lovers as she turns 85-year-old.
Some celebs and institutions have taken to social media to celebrate her for being a blessing to many generations.
“Happy Birthday Gogo wishing you usuku oluhle. So blessed by your talents and to get to celebrate you while you’re still with us 85 years young,” Minnie Dlamini says.
Here are 5 facts about the Gogo:
- Esther is the 1st of 9 children, and was born in 1935, November 11.
- She started painting at the age of 9, after been taught by her mother and grandmother
- The SA legend was discovered in 1986, by researchers from Paris who were travelling the world to document traditional arts. These artists saw the paintings of Mahlangu’s house. They learnt more about why she paints like that and the significance of the paintings.
- Esther was the first woman artists to be invited to make a BMW art car.
- The world renowned artist was conferred with an honourary doctorate by the University of Johannesburg in 2018.
The post 5 facts about Legend Esther Mahlangu, as she turns 85-year-old appeared first on .