Kebbi boat mishap: Death toll rises to 81
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Sokoto state has stated that 81 bodies have been recovered following the boat mishap that occurred in Wara, Ngaski LGA of Kebbi state.
Recall that a boat on Wednesday carrying passengers from Niger to Kebbi had capsized and more than 100 persons were feared to have drowned in the incident while 22 persons were rescued alive.
A resident had said the boat took off from Loko in Niger state with more than 150 passengers.
“We are afraid that many people may have died from this mishap, because according to report, the boat took off with over 150 persons and many are still missing,” the resident had said.
Search-and-rescue efforts are ongoing, with joint operations involving NEMA officials from Sokoto and Kebbi, the Nigerian Red Cross, security operatives, and residents.
According to a statement from the Sokoto NEMA office, as of Thursday, 59 bodies had been recovered from the river.
“Twenty two (22) more dead bodies has been recovered today (Friday 28-05-2021) following the recent boat mishap which occurred last Wednesday in Wara, Ngaski Local Government Area, Kebbi state,” the statement reads.
“So far, at the time of filling this report, which is the third day since the incident happened, rescuers have successfully removed 81 dead bodies in total from the river.
“It will be recalled, as at yesterday (Thursday 27-05-2021) 59 dead bodies were recovered from the water, while 22 other victims were rescued alive.
“However, search and rescue operation still continues in order to recover more bodies.”
According to the agency, 165 persons were on the boat when the accident occurred.
The post Kebbi boat mishap: Death toll rises to 81 appeared first on NEWS.