Insecurity: Niger Gov’t bans commercial motorcycles
Deputy Governor of Niger state, Mohammed Ketso has stated that the government has banned commercial motorcycle operators in an effort to curb insecurity.
This was announced by Ketso while giving updates about efforts to rescue the school children recently abducted in the state.
Recall that students and staff of Salihu Tanko Islamic School in Tegina town, Rafi LGA were taken hostage on Sunday.
According to Ketso, the ban on motorcycles will take effect on June 3 but private owners can operate between 6am and 9pm daily.
“These are parts of measures being put in place by the government towards addressing the rising security situation in the state, especially Minna, the state capital,” he said.
He assured of the government’s commitment towards supporting security agencies with the required logistics to secure the state
“We have so far given 89 operational vehicles, 283 operational motorcycles, 30 bicycles, four tricycles in addition to funding the various security operations in the state,” he said.
“These are in addition to 70 vehicles and 2,300 motorcycles as mobility support for the vigilante corps in the state,” Ketsu said.
Speaking on the ongoing negotiation with the bandits, the deputy governor said ransom will not be paid for the students’ release.
“Niger state government is negotiating the release of the abductees and we are confident that in no distant time, the pupils will be united with their parents.
“Government is in touch with some of the parents of the kidnapped children, they have been assured of the safe return of their wards.”
He confirmed that 163 children and some staff were kidnapped by the bandits.
The post Insecurity: Niger Gov’t bans commercial motorcycles appeared first on NEWS.