Elon Musk’s time as Twitter CEO could soon end after a poll decides he should quit
Following Elon Musk’s takeover of Twitter, the company has made drastic changes in recent weeks. Nearly half of Twitter’s workforce has been laid off as the company completely overhauls its revenue model. Musk’s intentions included speeding up Twitter, unbanning people who might have been wrongfully banned, and drastically reducing the number of spambots on the site.
Following Twitter Blue’s recent relaunch, last-minute policy changes were criticized by Twitter users, including a vaguely unclear policy on using Twitter to promote third-party platforms. After which Musk said he would hold Twitter polls to decide on future policy changes.
Should we have a policy preventing the creation or use of existing accounts for the primary purpose of advertising for other social media platforms?
– Twitter Safety (@TwitterSafety) December 19, 2022
Well, Musk’s next-ever poll asked users if the new CEO should step down as head of Twitter. 57.5% of 17,503,391 voters said Musk should step down while the remaining 42.5% said Musk should stay.
Should I leave the head of Twitter? I will stick to the results of this survey.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December 18, 2022
There are signs (other than the Twitter poll) pointing to Musk’s imminent departure as CEO of Twitter. Tesla’s stock has fallen more than 60% year-on-year as the auto industry begins another decline since the one caused by the COVID lockdowns. Meanwhile, the changes to Twitter could end up costing the platform $4 billion, according to technical analyst Dan Ives.
No one wants the job that can actually keep Twitter alive. There is no successor.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December 19, 2022
Musk himself tweeted, “There is no successor,” in response to a Tweet that suggested Twitter already had a new CEO lined up to succeed Musk at the helm of Twitter. Maybe there is no successor yet?
Controversy erupted when several journalists’ accounts were suspended following an interaction on Twitter Spaces where Musk intervened in a discussion between journalists and was puzzled by their questions, prompting his sudden departure from Spaces.
Leave a Reply