Chelsea told how much it will cost to sign midfield starlet
Chelsea’s midfield issues
Chelsea have struggled with midfield issues so far this season, as N’Golo Kante, Jorginho, Mateo Kovacic and Ruben Loftus Cheek have all struggled with injuries.
Saul Nigues, brought in as deadline day cover for the midfield, has failed to impress, and was hooked at half-time in both of his opening Premier League starts, as he struggled to adapt to life in the English top flight. Based on current performances, it seems near-on impossible that Chelsea look to make his loan move permanent come next summer.
With Conor Gallagher and Billy Gilmour both impressing on loan, there is a less pressing need to sign a new midfielder, yet a defensive option seems to be high up on Chelsea’s list of priorities come the summer.
Conor Gallagher won’t be re-called by Chelsea in January, he’s staying at Crystal Palace to respect the agreement. 🔵 #CFC #CPFC
Tuchel: “We like Gallagher and how well he is doing. Nothing has changed – we see him all the time. There is no regret [about loaning him out]”. 🏴
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) December 15, 2021
And one man who they have targetted for a while is on the market.
Rice or Tchouameni?
While Chelsea have been heavily linked with a move for Declan Rice, he may now be too expensive to consider. Another man that they have been linked with in the past is AS Monaco’s Aurelian Tchouameni, who has been incredibly impressive so far this season for the Ligue 1 outfit.
Now, speaking to Tuttosport, the AS Monaco director of football has spoken on a potential move for his starlet, and claimed:
“Tchouaméni can be considered a top player, we’d like to keep him. Price tag? He’s as expensive as our Gran Casinó”
AS Monaco director Mitchell: “Tchouaméni can be considered a top player, we’d like to keep him. Price tag? He’s as expensive as our Gran Casinó”, he told @tuttosport 🇫🇷 #transfers
Chelsea are still interested – they know that he’s no longer available for €40/45m as last summer.
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) December 16, 2021
With Tchouameni under contract until 2024, Monaco are in no rush to sell the 21-year-old, but financial troubles in France mean that offloading the Frenchman could be a viable option should a suitable bid be made.
One thing is for sure though, his value continues to increase.