Chelsea fans will love Romelu Lukaku’s revelation on pushing for Stamford Bridge return
Romelu Lukaku has today opened on his efforts to push through a highly-anticipated move back to the Premier League with Chelsea this summer.
The name of Belgian hitman Lukaku has of course taken centre stage in West London over the course of the last month.
This comes with Chelsea, on the back of a campaign which saw the club’s attackers largely toil in front of goal, having swooped to bring their former striker back to the club.
Lukaku spent three years on the books of the Blues during the early years of his career, before ultimately being deemed surplus to requirements.
On the back of arguably the two finest seasons of his career at club level with Inter Milan, though, those in a position of power at Stamford Bridge this summer came to the conclusion that the 28-year-old now boasts all of the required attributes to spearhead Thomas Tuchel’s frontline.
In turn, with Inter amid something of a financial crisis, Chelsea made their move.
And, early last month, such efforts bore fruit.
In a series of posts across the club’s social media platforms, Chelsea confirmed Lukaku’s signing, with the ex-Everton man having put pen to paper on a 5-year contract.
Welcome home, @RomeluLukaku9. 💙#LukWhosBack pic.twitter.com/P43CAIVqfU
— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) August 12, 2021
Whilst, in the end, it came as little surprise when the transfer actually went through, earlier in the summer, it had appeared a nailed-on certainty that Lukaku would in fact be staying put in Milan.
This came with the Belgian himself having assured during an exchange with the press that he had every intention of leading Inter’s efforts to retain their Scudetto crown over the season ahead:
Romelu Lukaku: “I’m staying at Inter. I’ve already had a very good talk with the new manager and I feel very good at Inter” pic.twitter.com/BOpt8h8sYA
— Siavoush Fallahi (@SiavoushF) June 2, 2021
So, what changed?
Well, speaking during an interview with HLN in his home country this weekend, Lukaku provided an insight into exactly that.
After revealing the financial terms of one of the bids for his services to have been knocked back by those in a position of power at the San Siro, the 28-year-old admitted that the lure of a 2nd chance at life in West London proved the deciding factor in turning his head:
Romelu Lukaku to HLN: “When Chelsea made their third offer I knew it was serious and I was no longer with my head in Milan. Chelsea offered €110m plus Zappacosta, but Inter said no. So I told Inzaghi: Inter pulled me out of shit but I wanna leave only because of Chelsea” 🔵 #CFC pic.twitter.com/aGBD7NzTvj
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) September 4, 2021
Chelsea fans convinced Jules Kounde has dropped a Sevilla exit plea on social media
Chelsea academy graduate tipped for big things as Lokomotiv Moscow bring iconic jersey number out of retirement