Bayern Munich chief speaks out over Antonio Rudiger links
Hasan Salihamidzic, director of sport at German giants Bayern Munich, has today spoken out over the club’s mounting links to Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger.
German international Rudiger has of course enjoyed a scintillating opening to the new campaign.
After being brought back in from the cold to establish himself as a key contributor at Chelsea over the 2nd half of last season, the 28-year-old has stepped things up yet another notch to this point in 2021/22.
Rudiger has played every minute of both the Blues’ Premier League and European campaigns, looking an absolute rock no matter his defensive partner.
So impressive has the ex-Roma man been that some have already begun to point towards a ‘best defender in England’ tag, with a goal to cap off a remarkable display versus Tottenham last weekend just rewards for his early-season efforts.
In turn, amid the finest stretch of the stopper’s playing career, his contract situation in West London has long marked something of a concern.
Rudiger’s current terms are due to expire next summer, with the player, to this point, having kept his cards close to his chest when it comes to his intentions moving forward.
Such uncertainty, in turn, sparked reports earlier this week that ‘Rudi’ has been targeted by German heavyweights Bayern Munich, with preliminary talks over the possibility of a free transfer now underway between the two parties:
Bayern Munich have registered an interest in Chelsea’s Antonio Rudiger 👀@NizaarKinsella & @kerry_hau have the details 👇
— Goal News (@GoalNews) September 23, 2021
In turn, speaking to the media on Sunday, it came as little surprise when the subject of a potential Rudiger swoop was put to the aforementioned Hasan Salihamidzic.
The Bayern chief, however, was keen to play the subject down, assuring that Bayern remain well stocked in the centre-back department, despite the recent hints of manager Julian Nageslmann.
‘It’s not okay when we talk about players who are at other clubs,’ Salihamidzic told DAZN, as cited by Sport Witness.
‘Julian said that about him in the press conference, but he is a coach who sees quite a lot of players – so why shouldn’t he evaluate an international and talk about his strengths.’
‘(Bayern are) really well-staffed at centre-back. We have strengthened ourselves very well and brought in a top player in Upamecano; Lucas Hernandez is there, Tanguy Nianzou is there, Benjamin Pavard can also play inside – we are really very, very well staffed.’
‘We (he and Nagelsmann) have had very little time; I had an appointment today on Friday. We didn’t see each other for that long, but we talk a lot about players – sure.’
More out of Germany on Antonio Rudigerhttps://t.co/NH3KIZz5qg
— football.london (@Football_LDN) September 26, 2021
Juventus dealt double injury blow ahead of Chelsea clash
Reece James return timetable provided by injury expert and it doesn’t look great for Chelsea star